To help your organization Fail Forward we’ve put together the following ideas, tools and further reading.
None of our ideas or tools are finished products.
We strive to role model our values so have put our imperfect, early-stage content on this page for you to apply to your own context, and give us feedback on what you liked and didn’t.
Download what is useful to you but please share with attribution.
- Ideas for Intelligent Failure
- Criteria of a Failure
- Intelligent Failure Learning & Innovation Loop
- Barriers and Needs for Sharing and Owning Our Failures
- The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation Webinar
- Failure Reports: A How-To Guide (Find a links to examples of Failure Reports on AdmittingFailure.com)
- Tips for Running a Fail Faire
- What We’ve Learned About Communicating Failure
- Listener and Storyteller’s Guide to Sharing Failures
- Innovation and Risk Appetite Assessment (a.k.a. the Risk Sandbox)
- Intelligent Failure Competency Model
- Innovation Potential Metric
- Learning Loops Worksheet
- Argyris, Chris (1991). Teaching Smart People How to Learn
- Brown, Tim (2009). Change By Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
- Darling, Marilyn, Charles Parry & Joseph Moore (2005). Learning in the Thick of It
- Edmondson, Amy C. (2013). Teaming to Innovate
- Farson, Richard & Ralph Keyes (2002). Whoever Makes the Most Mistakes Wins: The Paradox of Innovation
- Gladwell, Malcolm (2013). The Gift of Doubt http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2013/06/24/130624crbo_books_gladwell
- Harvard Business Review: The Failure Issue. April 2011
- Lewis, Sarah (2014). The Rise: Creativity, the Gift of Failure, and the Search for Mastery
- Li, Charlie (2011). The Art of Admitting Failure
- Martin, Claire (2014). Wearing Your Failures on Your Sleeve
- McRaney, David (2013). Survivorship Bias
- Nussbaum, Bruce (2013). Creative Intelligence: Harnessing the Power to Create, Connect, and Inspire
- Tavris, Carol & Elliot Aronson (2008). Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
- Westley, F., Zimmerman, B. & Patton, M.Q. (2006).Getting To Maybe
Don’t see the topic you’re looking for? Let us know.